Leading Edge Aviation offers students the unique opportunity to experience additional flight training and ratings. By flying in Central Oregon, students are exposed to mountain flying (our field elevation is 3456 ft. and we’re at the base of the 10,000 ft. Cascade Mountains) while enjoying 300 days of sunshine per year.
Although many schools offer advanced flight training courses, very few schools have the depth of experience that Leading Edge has. With over 35,000 hours of helicopter experience, Leading Edge’s management has developed the following advanced courses in effort to better prepare you, the student, for the commercial helicopter industry.
Specialized Helicopter Training:
- Mountain Flying: Learn the unique aspects of mountain flying, while gaining valuable knowledge and experience in the actual mountain flight environment.
- Night Vision Goggle (NVG) Training: Leading Edge Aviation offers an FAA approved NVG course, helping you prepare for the advanced requirements of today’s commercial operators. Leading Edge employs a Chief Flight Instructor with extensive knowledge in NVG operations. This experience using NVGs in the commercial industry allows LEA students to gain a comprehensive understanding of Night Vision Goggle flying.
- External Load: We teach you the skills to handle external load operations, a key capability sought by employers. Our External Load instructors are all experienced line pilots with extensive external load experience, providing you the best and most current training available.
- Turbine Transition Course: After training in Robinson piston aircraft, taking the Turbine Transition Course provides you the ability to operate Turbine Aircraft. Many commercial operators are seeking pilots who have Turbine Transition Training before they are hired. This course teaches you the specific operating parameters of Turbine Aircraft and gives you advanced skills for your career.
Specialized Airplane Training:
- Multi Engine
- Multi Engine Instructor
- Oxygen/High Altitude
- High Performance in 285 HP Bonanza
- Multi Engine with Critical Engine
Additional Training Available for:
- Robinson Transition
- R22/R44 Recurrent Training
- R22/R44 Instructor Authorizations
- Instrument Recurrent & Proficiency training
- Instrument Add-On
- Airline Transport Pilot
To learn more about our additional courses, please contact us.
Flight training device (Simulator)
Leading Edge Aviation also has a “Fly It” Flight Training Device which offers FAA approved rotorcraft Flight Simulation Devices for flight training; desktop control panels, motion platforms, cockpits, display systems, and complete simulation environments.
Airplane Oxygen Training
Leading Edge Aviation is pleased to announce the most recent addition to our airplane training program: Introduction to Inflight Oxygen training. Open to both Single and Multi-Engine Commercial Students, this program will give experience flying above FAR oxygen limited altitudes – training up to 16,000 ft.
“Many pilots choose to fly at higher altitudes in order to take advantage of lower fuel flows, and favorable winds aloft. It is important that these pilots have the proper training to use oxygen in flight – to ensure they can effectively operate equipment as well as identify when they are entering into a hazardous physical state that could lead to illogical decision making.”
– Russ Ward, Chief Instructor
The Leading Edge Aviation Oxygen Training Program not only gives the pilot the knowledge needed to properly use equipment, but also addresses a potentially hazardous physical condition known as hypoxia, and enables students to experience some of the initial effects of such circumstances in a controlled environment.
Leading Edge Aviation has partnered with the highly regarded Bend based company, Precise Flight, to provide a quality aircraft oxygen system. Founded in 1980 Precise Flight is a major supplier of proprietary products in SpeedBrake, Pulselite, PreciseLite HID and LED Lighting and aircraft Oxygen systems.
“We couldn’t ask for a better system than what we have acquired through our partnership with Precise Flight”
– Russ Ward, Chief Instructor
The Leading Edge Aviation Oxygen Training Program is now a part of the training all students enrolled in the Single and Multi-Engine Commercial courses can participate in. This training is also available to all pilots in the local area who are considering using portable oxygen systems as part of their flight operations.
To register for flight school, please contact us. We are happy to provide you with more information.